Free The History of Jazz Books Online
Particularize Books Toward The History of Jazz
| Original Title: | The History of Jazz |
| ISBN: | 019512653X (ISBN13: 9780195126532) |
| Edition Language: | English |

Ted Gioia
Paperback | Pages: 471 pages Rating: 4.05 | 3616 Users | 113 Reviews
Identify Based On Books The History of Jazz
| Title | : | The History of Jazz |
| Author | : | Ted Gioia |
| Book Format | : | Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | Deluxe Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 471 pages |
| Published | : | May 6th 1998 by Oxford University Press (first published November 1st 1997) |
| Categories | : | Music. History. Nonfiction. Jazz. Art |
Commentary To Books The History of Jazz
Jazz is the most colorful and varied art form in the world, and it was born in one of the most colorful and varied cities, New Orleans. From the seed first planted by slave dances held in Congo Square and nurtured by early ensembles led by Buddy Bolden and Joe "King" Oliver, jazz began its long, winding odyssey across America and around the world, giving flower to a thousand different forms - swing, bebob, cook jazz, jazz-rock fusion - and a thousand great musicians. Now, in "The History of Jazz, " Ted Gioia tells the story of this music as it has never been told before, in a book that brilliantly portrays the legendary jazz players, the breakthrough styles, and the world in which jazz evolved.Rating Based On Books The History of Jazz
Ratings: 4.05 From 3616 Users | 113 ReviewsWrite Up Based On Books The History of Jazz
A very readable, comprehensive and thoughtful look at the sprawling and intimidating history of jazz. Gioia's insightful prose covers a lot of ground without ignoring the unheralded and undervalued contributors to the idiom, while also managing to spotlight the major players of every era. I loved reading this book and felt like it really brought me up to speed while still leaving me hungry to learn more about jazz. A great primer that allows readers to then diverge into the areas that mostOnly took me a year, but a very (I mean VERY) informative read. Extremely detailed and when Gioia talks about scales, phrasing, meters, etc., I didn't come close to understanding what he was talking about. However, the background on the musicians and time periods that have made Jazz what and where it is today, was both entertaining and informative. Sad to see that a lot of the musicians died young and makes me wonder the sad time ole question, "What could have been?"
This book helped me consolidate my understanding of the development of jazz. The book strikes a good balance between breadth and depth. Keep your iPod handy while reading.

This is comprehensive, scholarly history of jazz, from its 19th century roots to the early 21st century, that examines all the developments in the genre in each generation. Gioia brings his encyclopedic knowledge to the task, covering all the major players (and many of the minor ones) in each era. For readers interested in a deep dive on many of the themes mentioned by Ken Burns in his 2000 series, "Jazz," Gioia's "The History of Jazz" will provide an excellent -- although occasionally pedantic
Excellent book for music lovers. Jazz influenced all of today's modern music.
I'll give this one a somewhat frustrated four stars. It would be great to have a 5 CD set with this, so you could hear all of the tracks Ted Gioia refers to. Also, I read the 1997 edition of this one. There is a Second Edition that takes the story up to 2011, and I would love to have that one.From 2008 to 2012, I wrote a music blog. One of my goals was to try to let my readers know what the music I was writing about sounded like. I had read album reviews for years that frustrated me, because I
My interests in jazz mainly focus on Be Bop and spill over to Cool Jazz and bits of Hard Bop, but I listen to a bit of everything, and I enjoy at least sampling the many other flavours of jazz. Gioia is both highly informative and a good jumping off point for further study.Reading Gioia is like having Ken Burns Jazz in book form. The advantage of Burns is the whole audio-visual thing. The advantage of Gioia is that he can go into more detail and explore more by-ways than can ever fit in a
.png)


0 Comments:
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.