Download The Gone-Away World Books Online

Mention Books In Favor Of The Gone-Away World

Original Title: The Gone-Away World
ISBN: 0434018422 (ISBN13: 9780434018420)
Edition Language: English URL http://www.goneawayworld.co.uk/
Literary Awards: Locus Award Nominee for Best First Novel (2009)
Download The Gone-Away World  Books Online
The Gone-Away World Hardcover | Pages: 531 pages
Rating: 4.12 | 11364 Users | 1675 Reviews

Chronicle During Books The Gone-Away World

DAG. Nick Harkaway is well into his third pint and his eleventh story when he looks around and realizes he's got half the bar hanging on his every word, and THAT's when he leans back a little, stretches his legs, and gives you a three-page backstory on a minor idiot whose chief role in the book is getting punched in the head. Because, and this is a rule, so pay attention: punching an idiot in the head is funny, not to mention satisfying, but the road that an idiot travels on his way to getting punched is Pure Comic Gold. If The Gone-Away World were "merely" funny, it would be worth reading. But, oh, it's not. There is good stuff here about humanity, identity, and friendship. Jiminy Cricket is invoked. And there's a vividly imagined world, two, really, a Before and an After. There are characters that will put you in mind of Heinlein, Terry Pratchett, and various (good) comic books. I read this book so hard that my arm cramped up, and it is still sore.

Be Specific About Regarding Books The Gone-Away World

Title:The Gone-Away World
Author:Nick Harkaway
Book Format:Hardcover
Book Edition:Special Edition
Pages:Pages: 531 pages
Published:June 2008 by William Heinemann
Categories:Science Fiction. Fiction. Fantasy. Apocalyptic. Post Apocalyptic. Dystopia

Rating Regarding Books The Gone-Away World
Ratings: 4.12 From 11364 Users | 1675 Reviews

Evaluate Regarding Books The Gone-Away World
What a pleasant surprise this novel was. This is a post apocalyptic novel that takes place after the world has been rebuilt up partially. The unWar pretty much has unmade most of our planet and has resulted in uninhabitable areas, and gas pockets that can kill you, turn you into a monster, and simply unmake you. The story is about two men that end up like brothers at heart. There is a lot of Martial arts, ninjas, gun play and fistfights. The writing style is very high and the vocabulary is

How to describe this book?Well, first, the style is amazing. Abigail Nussbaum called it "a relentless barrage of Neal-Stephenson-on-acid style verbiage," which is pretty much it. I haven't enjoyed anything Stephenson has written since Cryptonomicon, but The Gone-Away World reads like what you'd get if you took the old Stephenson (the one who wrote Snow Crash and The Diamond Age) and cybernetically enhanced him -- made him better, stronger, faster, weirder, funnier, British, etc. (Though Harkaway

The Gone-Away World is a book that I enjoyed thoroughly, yet wasn't excited by. I'm not sure why - it had many of the attributes that I usually love. A certain sense of surrealism, of humour, of a meandering storyline, and threatening things just out of the edges of my vision. Yet I finished it feeling satisfied, but not thrilled. What did it need to take it to the next level? Or am I being too demanding? Is this feeling of deep-down satisfaction, in itself, testament to what I've read?Note: The

Everyone should read this book. It is extremely enjoyable and amazing. Harkaway writes the heck out of this book.I can't really explain to you what this is about. That would be very difficult. It is a combination of the movies:The Expendables (franchise)Shogun AssassinV for VendettaReal Genius Fast and Furious (franchise)The Karate KidThe English PatientApocalypse NowPitch BlackChronicles of RiddickWe Are What We Are (2013)Along with the books:Catch-22, Vertical Run, and, most strongly, Reamde.

(Reprinted from the Chicago Center for Literature and Photography [cclapcenter.com:]. I am the original author of this essay, as well as the owner of CCLaP; it is not being reprinted illegally.)When I first heard about Nick Harkaway's rambunctious new novel The Gone-Away World, I was so excited that I put a special reserve on it at my local library, something I rarely ever do (I instead like having the randomness of my library's "new release" shelf partly decide what books I review here, which I

Kurt Vonnegut Jr! T. Coraghessan Boyle! Joseph Heller (maybe)! Tom Robbins! and now it appears that Nick Harkaway can be added to the list of humanistic, cynical, insanely creative authors who truck in wild & wooly tales that blur the boundaries between reality & fantasy and are filled with enormous digressions, bizarre conundrums, slippery plot twists, and the kind of dark irony that feels like a surprise smack to the head.>the following review contains the occasional spoiler,

Disclosure: I received this book through the Amazon Vine program in exchange for an honest review. I read and reviewed this book in September of 2008.My synopsis: The narrator of The Gone-Away World - whose name we are never told - takes us on a wildly entertaining trip through his life and how it intersects with the rest of the world when a new weapon has unspeakable consequences. Often laugh-out-loud hilarious we are taken on a tour of his past until, a bit over half-way through the book, a

0 Comments:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.